Global Chat Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Capacitor

Capacitor
Penguin414 wrote:
Est wrote:
Warillusen wrote:I refuse to merch because it's scummy.

27How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:36 am

iArePhiPhi

iArePhiPhi
Warillusen wrote:I refuse to merch because it's scummy.
Merch refuses to work for you, because you're scrummy. >_>

http://iarephiphi.tumblr.com/

28How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:24 am

Warillusen

Warillusen
It's the same reason why I don't Stake or Dice. It's a scummy way to gain money.

29How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:22 am

Owen

Owen
Warillusen wrote:It's the same reason why I don't Stake or Dice. It's a scummy way to gain money.

I agree with staking/dicing for making money; I like merching though, always have, always will. (Unless Jagex do something stupid to ruin it >_>)

Merching must be .. 90% less "scummy" than staking/dicing though. >_>

30How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 am

Penguin414

Penguin414
I'd say about 50% less Owen. Unless it's that clan merchanting, then it's on the same level as dicing.

31How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 am

Owen

Owen
Yeah, clan merching/price manipulation is scummy.

I don't see the issue with merching though. >_>

32How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:21 am

Penguin414

Penguin414
a) It helps lazy people
b) It gives those who are unsure on prices the lower end making it worse off for them, therefore you are effectively taking their money.
c) It effects the prices of items which can make less money for people in other ways.
d) All it is is a lazy man's method of making money, I see no honesty in it when you could match the two people in the middle and they could both end up with a better deal as opposed to the middle man, the middle man being that guy everywhere in the world who fucks over the producers and the consumers.

Take for example milk. The farmers get basically no money for it, when it is pasteurised some more people get basically no money, then some large company takes it, charges whatever the hell they want for it and makes the consumer pay more.

Now you tell me how that's fair? Why should the ones that have money just be assholes in order to make more money?

And yes, a-c were basically there just to pad out for d. >.>

33How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:03 am

Owen

Owen
Penguin414 wrote:a) It helps lazy people
b) It gives those who are unsure on prices the lower end making it worse off for them, therefore you are effectively taking their money.
c) It effects the prices of items which can make less money for people in other ways.
d) All it is is a lazy man's method of making money, I see no honesty in it when you could match the two people in the middle and they could both end up with a better deal as opposed to the middle man, the middle man being that guy everywhere in the world who fucks over the producers and the consumers.

Take for example milk. The farmers get basically no money for it, when it is pasteurised some more people get basically no money, then some large company takes it, charges whatever the hell they want for it and makes the consumer pay more.

Now you tell me how that's fair? Why should the ones that have money just be assholes in order to make more money?

And yes, a-c were basically there just to pad out for d. >.>

I get your example, but it's a different model. The reason the farmers supply to the large companies is because.. they can sell mass-volumes of thier product. It doesn't work within RS because everyone has the same reasources, everyone is on an even playing-field; Everyone can look up/learn GE prices.
"real" merching can take a huge amount of time, since you have to find an item to invest in.. buy a lot of said thing; with ge limits.
Flipping is slightly different, however can still take a long time to find an item that actually makes money.

If you think about it, "flipping" is taking advantage of the "I want this thing now." philosophy, that people generally have. People can get around "middle-men" I.e. flippers- if they simply left their offer in for a decent amount of time.

Also, generally speaking, flipping doesn't have an impact on the price of items.
Person buys x: 100k.
Person sells x: 105k.
The ge updates on average-prices between buying/selling, So in this case say.. 100k/105k was the buy/sell price of said item; the ge would update to 102.5k. (eventually if it was going on long enough)

34How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 am

Penguin414

Penguin414
Owen wrote:I get your example, but it's a different model. The reason the farmers supply to the large companies is because.. they can sell mass-volumes of thier product. It doesn't work within RS because everyone has the same reasources, everyone is on an even playing-field; Everyone can look up/learn GE prices.
"real" merching can take a huge amount of time, since you have to find an item to invest in.. buy a lot of said thing; with ge limits.
Flipping is slightly different, however can still take a long time to find an item that actually makes money.

If you think about it, "flipping" is taking advantage of the "I want this thing now." philosophy, that people generally have. People can get around "middle-men" I.e. flippers- if they simply left their offer in for a decent amount of time.

Also, generally speaking, flipping doesn't have an impact on the price of items.
Person buys x: 100k.
Person sells x: 105k.
The ge updates on average-prices between buying/selling, So in this case say.. 100k/105k was the buy/sell price of said item; the ge would update to 102.5k. (eventually if it was going on long enough)

"The reason the farmers supply to the large companies is because.. they can sell mass-volumes of thier product."
"since you have to find an item to invest in.. buy a lot of said thing;"

You are buying the items in sets of lower amounts from other players in most cases, people selling it in the hundreds or thousands and then you are bulk selling. Exactly like my example.
Flipping is still on the same principle, it's dishonestly making money of other people's trade. It's like you're trying to personally implement a trade tax into the game. And as I said, a-c weren't really anything for the argument. I know in many cases it has little to no effect on prices.

"It doesn't work within RS because everyone has the same reasources"
Look at rune ore for example. There is a small amount of people who mine it and a small amount of people who buy it. Everyone is hardly dealing with the same resources. Then look at my milk example. I'm sure at least 50% of people in first world countries drink milk on a regular basis. Seems to me like we're dealing with more of the same resources in real life than in RS.

35How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:42 am

Owen

Owen
I get your example in some ways, but.. The sellers of the items aren't going to sell them at a price they'd not be happy with; unless they're stupid. That goes back to my point that if people are willing to wait- they will bypass the merchers eventaully. The problem is that everyone wants instant sales.

that's all i can say since i'm tired as hell atm. >_>

36How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:17 am

Penguin414

Penguin414
Well, I'll just stick to my same example.

A farmer could take the milk to sell themselves, it happens in farmers markets and such but it just doesn't work because the large companies have already broken the economy in such a way that people get it from the supermarket because it's convenient. Yes, it may be convenient, but as I said, you could buy it for mid and sell it for mid, or even just let the GE work their trade so that they both get better deals rather than you sitting there in the middle taking their money that they earned and you didn't.

37How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:26 am

невидимый

невидимый
Death to merchants, the second coming of the Acid Emperor, so forth, so forth. All those heathens will die a barrel related death at some point.

Herein will I imitate the sun emerging from the contagious clouds. When I take my place upon the Acid throne, I will be great.

38How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Shad

Shad
Guys, flipping stuff is easy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

39How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Warillusen

Warillusen
Not vertically flipping? Are you gay or something?

40How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am

nice guide Happy

41How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:47 am

Kun

Kun
well, this longer works

42How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm

StephenCopen

StephenCopen
This guide is poop. Why? Tank made it.

43How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Capacitor

Capacitor
Just reading through the discussion 414 and Owen had a year ago, I have something to input (get over it, stephen rezzed a dead thread, not me)

There's two ways (imo) that flipping/merchanting can be related to irl.

Flipping is firstly, in essence, a less complex (and less needed) version of a distributor in real life. Distributors take from the supplier/manufacturer, and then sell to the end user/consumer at a higher price.

This, by itself, is completely pointless. The distributor (see Middle Man) is basically inserting themselves in the middle so they can make some cash with no hard effort on their part. This is what flipping in Runescape is.

Distributing in real life, however, can have a use, as suppliers for a lot of items will rarely handle nation-wide/world-wide distribution of their products, nor will they handle installation of said products. This is where a distributor has a use in real life.

In Runescape, items just go into the GE or World 2 for instant use in a world-wide market, there is no hassle for a supplier to distribute their product to the entire population of the game, nor is there any real reason for there to be any person/s handling items inbetween the supplier and consumer.

The second way it is relatable to real life is through stocks, but once again, the Runescape version is a much more simplified process, and I once again think it's dishonest/twatty to try to emulate it in Runescape's market.

44How to flip items. - Page 2 Empty Re: How to flip items. Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:40 am

Tank_P0wnz

Tank_P0wnz
StephenCopen wrote:This guide is poop. Why? Tank made it.

I don't even know what you're on about!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum