Global Chat Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Alternative means of communication? Empty Alternative means of communication? Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 am

Owen

Owen
I was just wondering if we could improve the methods of communication given that a fair amount of people have left the forums over the past.. 6 months.

By that I mean, for example, would people use an external chat (similar to what's on the bottom of the forums) although, better?

2Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 am

Penguin414

Penguin414
It sure would be nice if Jagex implemented that friends chat mobile app that was mentioned in a poll once.

3Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 am

Warillusen

Warillusen
Man, that would be so fucking great.

I just want an external way to communicate in the friend's chat without having to log into Runescape and faff about.

Why couldn't Jagex program the chats like IRC and you could just have that up but it's not and that sucks.

4Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:02 pm

NickVo

NickVo
they had a poll recently about what app they will develop next. Mobile chat was one of them. Everyone voted for mobile grand exchange price checker.

https://www.youtube.com/user/novavo

5Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Shad

Shad
Those bastards.

Should probably just reduce the forums to 'spamthread.com'.

6Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Warillusen

Warillusen
NickVo wrote:they had a poll recently about what app they will develop next. Mobile chat was one of them. Everyone voted for mobile grand exchange price checker.
I'm actually annoyed about this. What the fuck.

7Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:26 am

Owen

Owen
Grand exchange price checker? Wtf. You can do that through the rs website already. <_<

I don't think it'd be possible to make an app that links into the rs chat, at least, without annoying Jagex.

8Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:15 pm

asnguyen

asnguyen
perhaps teamspeak or ventrilo?

9Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Owen

Owen
I'm not really a fan of vent/teamspeak. I'd much rather typing, but that's just me I guess.

10Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:43 am

Warillusen

Warillusen
It's because Owen is a pussy baby.

Nah, in all honest, having a typing system is easier because talking requires you to be alone or somewhere where it's not obnoxious to be yelling into a device.

11Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 am

Hans

Hans
We could just create an irc channel.
People who want to chat can have the client auto start when they turn on their computer so they will always be in the chat.

I suggest using irc.swiftirc.net then people who use swiftkit can easily use the built in irc client.

EDIT: I just created #GlobalChat on irc.swiftirc.net

The best irc client imo is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It's free.

https://www.youtube.com/Runelair

12Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:06 am

Vanilla990

Vanilla990
We could look to use some sort of client that offers voice chat as well as a history log of typed messaged rather than just saving from when you join each time so you can catch up on what you may have missed. It's a lot easier to talk when you are playing games etc than it is to type.

13Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:13 am

Hans

Hans
vent/teamspeak

Going in circles?

14Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 am

NickVo

NickVo
The problem with me is the only game I play is Runescape. We don't have enough people currently on Runescape to do events.

https://www.youtube.com/user/novavo

15Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:40 am

Owen

Owen
The way I see it, is.. I want something that I can say.. goto gc.com and chat. (I know we can't get that domain, but still..)

The stuff with IRC etc. seems too complicated for new people to be interested in finding out how it all works. I'm sure it's not, but I was looking at it from a noobs perspective and I didn't want to continue looking at what I needed to do.

Vent/teamspeak, I personally don't like these, for various reasons. I don't know if that's just me though.

16Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:14 am

sharppool

sharppool
what is skype

17Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:59 am

Hans

Hans
irc is simple. To just chat, you don't need to create an account or anything, just join the channel.
You don't even need a client, if you just want to use a web browser go to:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Choose a name and join #GlobalChat

If it was just a web chat, not many people would be bothered to keep the tab open. My irc client runs automatically when my pc is on, it auto connects me to multiple channels. I don't even notice it unless someone talks to me.

irc also has a ranking system, so people can ban and kick etc.

18Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 am

Owen

Owen
You can go here now:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just pick a name, and enter.

19Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Cyrus44

Cyrus44
you need to give me all the powers

20Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Hans

Hans
If you want power, you have to register an account.
In the chat, use:
/ns register [password] [password] [email] [email]
Choose a password and put it twice, then put your email twice
Check your email and copy the confirmation message into the chat
Then I can OP you.
Each time you join the chat you need to log in with:
/ns identify [password]

If you're just there to talk, you don't need to do any of that.

21Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:56 am

StephenCopen

StephenCopen
I think we should start an event with all the Globallers to officially start an alternative way of chatting. Of course we'd need to figure out when the best time to hold this event would be and how to advertise to all of Global Chat about the event so that we can gather as many people as possible.

22Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:37 am

Vanilla990

Vanilla990
Christmas Quiz in the IRC?

23Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:29 am

Hans

Hans
I am always in IRC when I'm awake and at home. I really think the best option is for people to install X-Chat2 or mIRC and have it auto start.
It stays in the background and I don't notice it until someone says my name and it alerts me.

24Alternative means of communication? Empty Re: Alternative means of communication? Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:06 am

Owen

Owen
I am trying to avoid things starting when my computer starts, it's been running fairly slowly lately.

& An event seems fun.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum