Global Chat Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Forum Chat Box! Empty Forum Chat Box! Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 pm

sky

sky
Hi there,

I was in Skype with Nick and others not 30 minutes ago and we were talking about the forum chatbox that no one uses. It seems like a good idea but at the same time seems poorly implemented.

May I suggest that it be tweaked to display by default in the very top of the forums homepage requiring you not to join it but has you auto involved in the chat when logged in allowing you to type into it in real-time and read the discussion in realtime.

If you are not logged in you can still see the chat that is going on but you must be logged in to partake in the discussion.

It should update sort of the same way as an instant messenger and should be able to display the full chat history if someone chooses to scroll up and read it all.

I feel that this would be a nice addition and possibly an alternative to the spam thread. The spam thread is typically an active discussion of short 1 line responses that I feel might be better carried out in a format that the chatbox provides.

Finally it should not be too bulky and maybe only have a single chat line to type into. Also possibly a character limit to keep lengthy posts out of the discussion and a 5-10 line display of the last messages sent?

Something to think about, I think it would be nice to not have to navigate the forums to post something seemingly meaningless and maybe only one line long like. "hi global hows everyone?!" or "I'm eating noodles you jelly?" etc. etc.

-sky Laughing

2Forum Chat Box! Empty Re: Forum Chat Box! Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:28 pm

NickVo

NickVo
I don't know... are there enough people on the forum that it would actually get a decent amount of use?

https://www.youtube.com/user/novavo

3Forum Chat Box! Empty Re: Forum Chat Box! Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Tank_P0wnz

Tank_P0wnz
I would use it. If I'm not on RS I'm on here

4Forum Chat Box! Empty Re: Forum Chat Box! Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Cyrus44

Cyrus44
we had this before and no one used it
it will be the same this time

5Forum Chat Box! Empty Re: Forum Chat Box! Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 pm

sky

sky
I remember the old one. It was more of an inconvenience to use than posting in a thread.

Honestly if its implemented conveniently in a place that is visible and simple to post to I would have used it much more. The whole need to connect to the chat and the loss of previous chat (its archived it or something?) made it hard to have a fluid continuous conversation over a period of time.

I understand your point Cyrus but I feel if it was made easier to use with a quick display of the on-going conversation, I know I would have used it quite often.

In the end it is not my call, but it was just an idea i had, since the way it is now is even less appealing than it was at first.

-sky Laughing

6Forum Chat Box! Empty Re: Forum Chat Box! Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Warillusen

Warillusen
I honestly doubt anyone would use it since everybody else is on Runescape Global Chat, I'd rather speak to those who are on Runescape Global Chat which would be speaking to everybody and not just a select few who use the forums.

7Forum Chat Box! Empty Re: Forum Chat Box! Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Vanilla990

Vanilla990
Yeah, we had this before as a pop-up and as an embed in the homepage of the forums.

The problem is that the chat box is a plugin and I have very little control over it and can only edit bits of it where there are template or javascript codes for it.

It does have an archive bit in there but im not sure if thats for admins and moderators of the chat only or what.

8Forum Chat Box! Empty Re: Forum Chat Box! Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 pm

sky

sky
Ah well. I was doing some looking at the Chatbox and you are right. It does not function quite like I am envisioning. That being said you mentioned it is a plugin that you have little control over so that basically throws out the option of moving the chatbox and tweak how it works.

I looked into it more and what I am suggesting falls more in line with what is called a forum shout-box.

Here is a pre-made version of a shout-box that shows basically what i was suggesting:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Of course you can use that pre-made version (it contains ads at the bottom) or you could tinker with one yourself.

Here are some links to shout-box PHP scripts and stuffs:
and

I hope that better explains what I was suggesting, since I am sure I had people confused at first.

-sky Laughing

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum